Thursday, May 3, 2012

Shades of grey


Recently I had the not so pleasant realisation that I am going grey.

I am two weeks out from my 27th birthday and I’ve found three grey hairs. Awesome.

I am not really sure how I feel about this – surely it can’t be because of my getting older? My mum didn’t go grey young… so I am blaming stress.

It is true that I am known to be a stress head, and now my head of hair is reflecting that.

I have had my hair dyed (I know, shock horror) since about year 9. I guess that the old hair dye is my only saviour in this case.

I could take the Yumi Stynes road and publicly state that I am putting down hair dye and making the choice to age gracefully, but honestly, I don’t think I’m there yet.

Instead, I figure that writing about it will help me deal with it.

On the Gold Coast where most are spray-tanned, made-up and Botoxed up to the hilt, being a 20-something with a few greys really isn’t going to cut it. I doubt my friends really would give a shit and probably would never see the said hairs thanks to the crafty work of my amazing hair dresser (love you Graham!) but I will know they are there, lurking under the creamy blonde and caramel tones of my recent colour job.

Really, I can’t say I am all that thrilled about it, but I can’t say I am that surprised. We’ve come of the back of a pretty stressful year so a few greys appearing really seems to be a reflection of that.

With the next 12 months sure to be another big one (with work and other things happening that I can’t yet talk about) I just have to take stresses into my stride and not sweat the small stuff. Otherwise I am sure there will be a few more greying friends who will be more than happy to join my party of three, already present, hairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!