Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pregnancy products: Focus on protection, not vanity.

Since falling preggers I made the commitment that I would treat my body like a temple (I really should have been doing this before hand, but the allure of red wine and chocolate for me is very strong!).

So when we happily found out we were expecting, I not only changed my diet, but did an overhaul of the beauty cabinet in my bathroom changing my usual products that I was using pre-pregnancy in favour of more natural, organic-based ones that wouldn’t harm me and more importantly, our baby.

Here’s what I’m now using:

Garnier Mineral Deodorant Invisible Roll On – 48hr protection.
I don’t usually like to use roll on deodorant, but this is great. It offers great protection while still allowing my skin to breathe. It is dermatologically tested and has no harmful parabens or alcohol. There are other more natural deodorants on the market but I needed something that would give me good protection while being less harsh than the previous product I used.


Gaia Pure Pregnancy Belly Butter 150ml

Not only does this smell amazing, but it is full of moisturising and nourishing goodness for my skin. Even though the label says ‘Belly Butter’ I’ve been using this all over to combat dryness and assist with skin elasticity during pregnancy. Containing organic rosehip and wheat germ oils, certified organic Shea and pure Cocoa butter, organic Aloe Vera Leaf extract and natural vitamin E, this stuff helps smooth lines and scars, improving the overall appearance of my skin and reduce the chance of stretchmarks (yes!).



Normal Balance Shampoo & Conditioner 400ml

This leaves my hair feeling extremely soft and very manageable. It’s enriched with Bitter Orange extract, contains no parabens or petrochemicals, Sles, Sls, Ales, Als and conducts no animal testing. On top of all this goodness, the packaging is 100% biodegradable, so you’re doing the planet a favour as well! It’s kind to your hip pocket as well, at $3.71 each.

 
Macro Organic herbal toothpaste

I paid $2.08 for this tube from Woolworths and it seems to do the job well. I also use a sensitive non-alcohol Plax mouthwash (as dental health is very important in pregnancy).

Lucas’ Papaw ointment

I have been using this product for years. It has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties and can be used on minor burns, cuts, chafing, sunburn, dermatitis, scalds, and the best of all, dry, cracked lips. It is made in Australia from pure Australian papaws. You can buy this in a bulk tub or handy tube, which can be popped into your handbag.



Simple Skincare Hydrating Light Moisturiser 125ml

I use this everyday and it is great. It is absorbed quickly and is a great base for makeup. It contains Pro-Vitamin B5, vitamin E moisturisers and it is pH balanced. There are no perfumes, colours or harsh chemicals. I also use the Simple Soap cleansing bar to wash my face and it’s fantastic as well.



In general I have cut back on perfumes and any products that contain perfume (as I have sensitive skin anyway I didn’t like using anything that would give me a reaction). I can honestly say that I don’t feel like I’ve skimped on quality and will continue using these products long after the baby is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!