Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Baby Bloom - the pregnancy debate


Today I found out the happy news that Miranda Kerr and her new husband Orlando Bloom finally decided on a name for their new baby son, Flynn, who was born on January 6.

In a statement on the model’s website today, Miranda said:

"On the 6th of January I gave birth to our beautiful little son Flynn. We cherish him. He weighed 9lb 12 ounces (4.42kg) (a very healthy and big baby boy).

"I gave birth to him naturally; without drugs or painkillers and it was a long, arduous and difficult labour, but Orlando was with me the whole time supporting and guiding me through it.

"I could not have done it without him. We are so happy and are enjoying our time together as a family. He is our little ray of sunshine," she wrote.

It’s all very exciting and I am happy for the two of them, but I am just a bit concerned by the comments made by Miranda.

The comments I am referring to in particular are “I gave birth to him naturally; without drugs or painkillers…”. Now that’s all well and good for you Miranda, that you were strong enough to do that, but seriously, do you want a medal?

Ask the question – how many women out there go into labour with the intention of giving birth naturally without the use of drugs or painkillers and in the end, have used painkillers or had to have a c-section due to unforseen circumstances relating to the birth?

These women aren’t lesser beings – if I were giving birth to 9lb child I would want the option of an epidural – but mums-to-be and new mothers shouldn’t feel guilty for taking that road just because a beautiful Aussie model was able to do it au-natural and then post some slightly smug comments on her blog about it.

I know Miranda Kerr is all about an organic lifestyle and practicing Yoga and eating holistically – and I admire that. But in the real world, many new mothers aren’t like this for various reasons. Hell I am sure that I would rather have the option of popping a couple of Neurofen Plus and enjoying a strong cup of (caffeinated) tea than worrying about taking painkillers and being fully organic as a first-time mum. 

I don’t think that if you have decided to use drugs during the birth or have a caesarean that you should be judged – it’s your body and you can make decisions for yourself. There is no right way or wrong way of doing things.

Don’t worry what multi-million dollar model mums are doing and if you have a happy and healthy baby – what more could you ask for really?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!