Monday, January 17, 2011

Heating up the kitchen

I love cooking and am loving it even more now that my husband and I are doing more of it together.

I have been looking for something to do with Ben as a couple – when I bought a set of golf clubs thinking I could go out to the range with him, that didn’t go down very well because I think it was more a ‘boys’ thing to do (I kind of encroached on the guys’ turf I think). So since then I’ve been searching for something that Ben and I can enjoy together just the two of us.

I have always really enjoyed spending time in the kitchen preparing food for those I love – it really is a great release for me when I am stressed or upset about something.

Ben has shown an increased interest in cooking, so we’ve been cooking some dishes together. I figure my mum and grandmother gave me tips on how to prepare food, so why not pass on what (somewhat limited) culinary knowledge I have?

Last year I bought Jamie Oliver’s 30 Minute Meals, and despite what some people say, it’s a great book that is filled with recipes achievable in that timeframe. Last week we made a delicious French chicken pie with pea and lettuce sauce. It was delicious and a dish I could see us cooking again and again.



Then on Saturday we found a fantastic book that had dozens of pizza recipes so we decided to give a couple a crack.

After carefully prepping everything, I made a chicken pesto pizza and Ben made a BBQ meatlovers. I must say I was so impressed with Ben’s I was secretly feeling a bit threatened as masterchef of the kitchen (I really don’t think myself as a masterchef; I just show more enthusiasm towards cooking than anyone else at our place).

I took a pic of Ben’s pizza because it was so great!



Hopefully this is the beginning of a sweet/sour/hot/cold/crunchy/smooth cooking relationship.

What do you do as a couple with your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!