Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Waiting for winter

This morning I woke up shivering. If I could take a snapshot of myself looking down from the ceiling, I would be curled up in the foetal position with a shiver running through my shoulder.

Although the warmer days are coming to an end and the sun doesn’t seem to be staying out as long, I am thrilled that we are entering the cooler months.

When I was little, I used to get excited when it turned chilly because it meant that it would be my birthday soon (mid-May for all those who want to know). And it also meant that I got to dress up in thick coats, jeans, beanies, scarves and boots.  


If I had to choose a season, it would be winter or very early spring, before it gets too hot. There is something so satisfying about dressing in comfortable, reassuring clothing, snuggling under three layers of blankets and wearing Ugg Boots around all day.

Even though I love winter, I hate snow. It’s odd and I think it’s partially due to the fact that I am born and bred on the Gold Coast and the coldest place I’ve been is Melbourne CBD.

But the fact is, I’d rather sit at a bar in a ski chalet with a bottle of red wine and my husband to share it with, overlooking ski slopes and dressed in a glamorous winter ensemble. Plus, the one time I did go venturing into the white stuff, I fell over, got ice in my undies and looked like a hideous, uncoordinated snow bunny in my stuffy, hired ski outfit. I really don’t want to re-live that experience…


Also, in winter you can get really good food produce that is in season and make beautiful, warming meals like stews, soups and roasts (nothing beats a beef stew or a shepherd's pie in winter, in my opinion).

So as a Gold-Coaster, I am going to embrace the cooler months the only way I know how – by buying a new winter wardrobe and heading out to the farmer’s markets to get some yummy ingredients for my comfort-food cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!