Thursday, April 14, 2011

The weird and wonderful

Last weekend I got my hair done and had it made a more natural colour. It was a bit of a change for me...

Today I found this story about a lady called Sonya Cristy, who has grown her naturally-coloured organge hair past her knees and says that she will never be destitute thanks to the many offers from hairdressers to buy her Rapunzel-like tresses. Right on!

Here's the story from the Courier Mail:


Sonya Cristy's long red hair is hot property with hairdressers

SONYA Cristy's mega-mane is more than her crowning glory - it's her superannuation.

The 35-year-old contracts manager for Translink grew her extraordinarily long red hair while travelling in Europe 15 years ago, in order to have something to sell if she ran out of cash.

"Hairdressers had offered to buy it because it's thick and orange," said Ms Cristy.

"Happily, I never had to sell but it was good to know I could if I desperately needed money."

Falling to just above her knees after a 15cm "trim" on Sunday, Ms Cristy said having long locks was both a charm and a curse.

"I've had people come up to me overseas who recognised me from my hair," she said.

"And once Bono (from U2) approached me in the Portobello Markets in London and told me I had really nice hair. I didn't know who he was at first. I just thought "who's this weird old drunk dude?"."

On the downside Ms Cristy regularly gets her tresses caught in car doors and windy days can be hell.

"When it was really windy, like a tornado, I got it wrapped around a traffic light. That wasn't much fun," she laughed.

Despite measuring more than a metre in length and weighing several kilograms, Ms Cristy said her hair was not high-maintenance.

"I cut it myself, or have a friend do it and I use whatever shampoo is on special at the supermarket," she said.

"I take care of myself which is why it's in such good condition. I don't drink or smoke, I take multivitamins, I try to eat the right things."

Brisbane hairstylist Jules Tognini said mega-hair was not necessarily considered fashionable but "any hairdo that looks good is in".

"It's rare to find really long hair that's healthy. Usually when it gets that long we call it "aged hair". It tends to start drying out," Mr Tognini said.

"Staying out of the sun and air conditioning can help, as does diet and avoiding stress."

He said the market for hair was growing, as a result of the demand for extensions and natural-looking wigs.

"In Brisbane we have a lot of people donating hair rather than selling it but it's certainly something you can do."

Ms Cristy said she had no immediate plans to cut her Rapunzel-like locks as she headed overseas again.

"It's my trust fund. With hair like this, I know I'll never be destitute."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!