Monday, August 20, 2012

Making every day a productive one



There is nothing like a bit of productivity to make you feel good.

I love doing mundane tasks just so I don’t have to think/worry about them – getting things done and off my plate gives me a bazaar boost.

I am sure I have mentioned before that I love writing ‘to do’ lists. Today my list consisted of a few things:

  • Book in baby shower venue and confirm preliminary details           
  • Draft baby shower invitee list
  • Change our dog’s address with the GCCC
  • Change my dog’s veterinarian appointment 
  • Contact furniture refurbisher about glamming up some pieces of pine furniture for the baby’s nursery
  • Go to Medicare

I managed to fit this all in while completing a very busy day in the office and sending out multiple stories to clients for approval, billing out accounts and making appointments. All in a day’s work…

Over the weekend I bought paint and brushes to start work on decorating the nursery, organised what artwork and craft projects I wanted to start, which would feature in the room and did several hours’ research on baby products, furniture for the house, textiles and landscaping ideas for the backyard.

What was a little daunting was thinking about actually completing these tasks with a newborn baby. Thank god for time (hey I have another 20 weeks up my sleeve) and the fact that I work with my dad and am able to take some time off work after the little one arrives… maternity leave is a god-send.

Today I also had some other more emotional priorities to take care of.

These included touching base with some friends I hadn’t spoken to in a little while to let them know I’m thinking of them, sending texts and emails to family to let them know how everything is going with the baby and telling them to stop going overboard with presents and embroided clothing for the baby (this was specifically directed at my grandmother who is busy creating gorgeous garments for the baby, whose sex we aren’t finding out).

I also took a moment while driving to work to make a promise to myself to stress less this week and concentrate on my big picture priorities, which is my growing family.

It gives me a great sense of satisfaction to know that I have made the effort and was able to tick several things off my ‘list’ – it sounds strange but I’ll go home tonight feeling much lighter after culling several items off it.

Tomorrow will be a new day and a new list.
 

                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!