Monday, February 7, 2011

Gisele slams use of sunscreen


I just read that supermodel Gisele Bundchen has just been quoted that she doesn’t use sunscreen because she won’t ‘use that poison’ on her skin.

I have so many problems with this statement. She is a woman that millions around the world look up to, so she really should be watching what she says in the public arena.

Sun safety is regarded as a very important factor in the way people live their lives in Australia, and I’m sure the Cancer Council would be livid with celebrities making comments like this.

The reason Gisele doesn’t use sunscreen is because she refuses to use anything ‘synthetic’ or anything that contained chemicals on her skin. Rather, her approach to sun safety is to avoid being in the sun after 8am in the morning.

Being a supermodel, you would think that there are some women out there that aspire to be like her physically (hell, I would love to look like her) and have gorgeous tanned skin like hers. I just think this is taking things too far.

She is a mother with a small child – does she extend this same rule to sunscreen use on her son’s delicate skin? And not everyone has naturally olive skin like her – we are not all Brazilian and do not have the same tolerance of what the sun could do to our skin without adequate protection.

People in a position of ‘power’ should be using their celebrity status to do some good and relay smart messages for the greater good.

With all the information out there about the benefits of using sunscreen and being sun smart, this is no winning fight for Gisele. If I were her publicist, I would be getting her to retract those comments ASAP.

I just wanted to make a point that I have a family history of skin cancer and melanoma that has directly affected people I love very much – so screw you Gisele – I thought you were different, but after this I just think you are an air-headed model stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!