Monday, February 7, 2011

Making a house a home


So Ben and I are still on the journey to find the perfect house plan that will suit our needs both as a couple, and eventually, a family.

I have got to say, there are so many options out there, and I guess the thing that really gets me is that it is so easy to get excited and caught up in everything.

We went to a couple of displays yesterday and there were some amazing homes on show. If I weren’t a writer, I would definitely be an interior decorator. Some of these homes had the most beautiful pieces of furniture, colour schemes, hanging art, lighting features… I could go on and on.

So naturally, yesterday after we had finished meeting with the builders and looking at the displays, I grabbed a House and Garden magazine and crazily started visualising what I would buy and making mental notes of colour names, furniture stores and storage ideas.

Hit the breaks. I think I need an intervention.

We are so excited about building this house, that I do tend to forget that no matter how big or small or how beautifully decorated it will be; it still will be our home. So I am actually not going to worry about the decorative stuff for the time being, I need to just worry that this design will have enough space for us to make happy memories with our family and friends.

It’s hard when you get ahead of yourself and start to visualise living in a house and then something happens, i.e. the builder won’t build on your block because it’s sloped or their site costs are outrageous… and then you’re left with no fantasy to dream of.

That actually happened to us and going back to step one sucked. We are back on track now with a different builder and design, so finger’s crossed this one is a goer!

So I am just taking it one step at a time – Ben doesn’t have this problem because he is more level headed than me. I am not going to lose my mind when I walk past a Freedom store or make excuses as to why I took the exit to Ikea for no good reason. I will also stop mentally decorating a house that we may or may not build.

First thing's first – we need a house built and then I can go shopping for the pretty stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!