Friday, February 3, 2012

Trying to be good hurts (the hip pocket)

So in our bid to be healthier and treat our bodies better, I have told my husband that I am going to be buying more free range and organic products in my future visits to the supermarket.

My family has a history of Coeliac disease (basically living off a Gluten-free diet). I have been used to eating GF products, but eating organically is something different.

I already prefer to buy fruit and veg from the local markets if I can (and give farmers the direct benefit of my dollar, rather than going to the head-honchos at the major supermarkets) but the thing is, I am rather time-poor at the moment and the supermarket is just around the corner from my place…

So if I have to buy stuff from the greedy, mainstream stores, then I’ve decided I want to buy free-range and organic where I can.

What really sucks is that what’s better for us, and really, MUCH better for the animal, fruit and vege crops, costs SO much more than the standard stuff, which includes pesticides, synthetic hormones and a whole load of nasty additives, colours and preservatives.

Buying fresh produce from farmers' markets means you're supporting their industry and buying food that is better for you - ask them what (if any) pesticides they use as not all farmers are organic.

And another thing, buying products that are made in Australia also come with a higher price tag. It’s ludicrous! I know that supermarkets are competitive and try and keep prices as low as possible (without missing out on their margins) but I am not sure that they are doing as much as they could be.

Not long ago I saw Dick Smith on tele advertising his new General Store that he opened after his dismay at our farmers going broke because we opt to buy chemically enhanced food that is grown and packaged overseas. Hey, it’s cheaper and a lot of people can’t afford to be choosy when it comes to grocery shopping for their families.

Dick’s shop is filled with Australian grown and packaged products from some of our country’s best gourmet food producers, as well as his own branded wares (I happen to LOVE his crunchy peanut butter) but they are that bit more dearer than other products.

For instance, I’ve compared a few products that you can buy from the supermarket and make the choice between organic or normal – the price difference is astronomical.

ORGANIC PRODUCTS                                 NORMAL PRODUCTS

Organic corn chips 200g
$3.20
CCs corn chips 200g
$3.17
Organic rolled oats 750g
$4.83
Homebrand rolled oats 750g
$1.28
Organic cashew nuts raw 250g
$8.91
Sunbeam cashew nuts raw 250g
$6.99
Organic pasta sauce 375g
$4.29
Five Brother’s pasta sauce 500g
$3.75

This is only a small sample, but as you can see, you pay more for what is essentially, better for you. In some cases, you get much more product (see the pasta sauces) for a lot less cost.

Essentially in order for me to eat free-range, organic, gluten-free and pesticide free, I have estimated that I will basically have to spend about $25 extra to do this every week. That’s $1,300 extra per year to eat products that are much better for me and my family and support our own Aussie farmers in the same hit.

This shit is crazy and doesn’t make sense!

Anyway, if you want to side-track the supermarkets, here’s a link to the Australian Farmers’ Markets Association website – you can find your closest market by clicking the ‘Find a Market’ tab http://www.farmersmarkets.org.au/

Wish me luck on my quest to eat healthier and support our food growers – I might go broke in the process but at least I’ll feel better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!