Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Back to my Origin


As my favourite Queensland skipper walks into his last Origin series before his pending retirement, I can’t help but feel a little nostalgic.

I have grown up watching the Broncos play and my family are huge NRL fans – so much so that I was put into a Brisbane jersey before I was even old enough to make decisions about what team I should cheer for.

I loved seeing ‘Wolly Woolis’ on tv – he was my favourite back when I was about three years old. I still love Wally, but since growing up and becoming more educated about the sport of rugby league, it has been all about Lockyer.

Joining Wally in the ranks of my favourite sports people who include Roger Federer, Steve Moneghetti, Cathy Freeman, Kieren Perkins and Stephen Gerrard, is NRL God, Darren Lockyer.

I know there is so much surrounding the series at the moment, but I am just praying that the Maroons can win this series for their main man; it would be such a fitting tribute to someone who has given so much of himself to the game.

As key players step down, I find myself thinking how they could ever be replaced? How does another step into the shoes of someone who has made history and become part of the framework of the game for so many years?

Despite all this, I hope Queensland puts the emotion aside and channels it into smart ball play, quick feet and sure hands. And it would be helpful that if tonight the refs were completely objective (if it’s not too much to ask?!) Finally, I ask those of you lucky enough to going tonight to drink up the atmosphere that will surely be tingling with anticipation for our beloved Lockyer.

So it is only appropriate that I finish this short post with a huge ….

GO QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!