Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Congrats to Wills & Kate

I am not ashamed to admit that I come from a family that is totally Royal Family gaga (on my mum’s side). So with the recent nuptials between Kate Middleton and Prince William it is safe to say that we were in a bit of a royal haze of excitement.

There is just something about a wedding – the emotion, the beautiful outfits, the music… I just can’t get enough. So needless to say I was glued to about three channels simultaneously last Friday night to watch my teenage crush say ‘I do’ to his commoner bride, now the Duchess of Cambridge.


When I was a teenager, around the ages of about 13 to 16, I thought Prince William was the bees knees. His floppy hair and boyish charm, not to mention his devilish grin that was obviously given to him from his genetically blessed mother, Princess Diana.

I was a bit emotional watching him and Harry walking into the Abbey and thinking about what these brothers have been through for men of such a young age.

I couldn’t help remembering the last time I watched a ceremony happen at the Abbey, which was Diana’s funeral. I clearly remember little Harry and William sombrely following their mother’s casket into the church. I think mum and I watched the telly all day that day and just cried. It was so emotional and devastating to think that these young men had lost their mother so young and in such horrific circumstances.

I think that Diana would have been extremely proud of William on his wedding day – from what I have heard/read he and Kate really did things their way and I think the ceremony was more a reflection of their mutual love for one another and less about the pomp and formalities reflected in previous royal weddings. He has taken so many cues from his mother – it’s more about being a good person than about being someone you think others want you to be.

I especially loved the part when he drove Kate away from the palace in his father’s blue Aston Martin convertible with balloons and streamers flowing behind them! They looked just like any other giddy couple on their wedding day.



I am so happy for them and I think they will certainly break the mould when it comes to royal couples and indeed future leaders of our Commonwealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!