Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Art of being HAPPY


Over the weekend, the Courier Mail featured a section in their Q Magazine titled ‘Laughter Lines’ – asking Queenslanders what makes them happy.

The questionnaire received responses from a range of people from all walks of life – ex-sporting greats, homeless people, chief legal professionals, musicians, students, charity directors, and every day residents.

Their answers were sometimes obvious – spending time with family and friends being the major one, but I liked the little specific things that people got much happiness from, like sipping a cup of tea in bed, sinking a putt, a cold beer at the end of the week and (this one is my favourite) watching the Queensland Maroons win at State of Origin time.

I thought about what made me happy, and this is what I’ve come up with:

-Being completely at ease with the world and having nothing to worry about (when I am not stressing about life!)
-Knowing that I have the unconditional love of my family, and that I can give the same in return.
-The crazy, 24-hour devoted love that is given to me by my beloved Cocker Spaniel, Charlie – I believe animals are the cure for even the worst of bad moods.
-Being able to cook for the people I love warms my heart and offers me a therapeutic outlet to express myself through food.
-Waking up and seeing a cloudless, spectacular sky and be thankful for the life and family I was born in to.
-Sharing a beautiful bottle of wine and dining with my wonderful husband in an amazing restaurant.
-Being superfluous with my language and making the most out of adjectives (see above point! Haha!)
-Singing aloud when there is no one at home and thinking to myself that I sound better than most contestants on Australia Idol…
-Being on the water and boating – a lifestyle that I grew up with and would love to give to my children one day.
-Going for a run in the fresh air.
-The excitement of overseas travel and the thought of the unknown, which I want to explore further.
-Having a good book to snuggle down on the couch with and just read for hours.
-Looking through photos from past events and reminiscing about the time that has already flown by.
-My future – one thing I realised is that I have so much to look forward to in life and my future and spending it with my wonderful family and friends makes me the happiest person right now, despite what adversities have featured in my past.

 I think whatever thing makes you happy, hold on to it because life can change in an instant and we all deserve a little happiness, no matter how big or small, or who we are.

“I believe that the very purpose of our life is to seek happiness. That is clear. Whether one believes in religion or not, whether one believes in this religion or that religion, we all are seeking something better in life. So, I think, the very motion of our life is towards happiness…” Dalai Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!