Monday, January 23, 2012

Free therapy through letter writing

I’ve turned into a letter writer. You know, one of those people that have an issue, so they write letter upon letter until something or some kind of reimbursement is offered to make everything all warm and fuzzy again?

One thing I’ve found, that apart from the emotional kick I get out of giving people or businesses that have wronged me a blast, is that it is an incredibly therapeutic process.

Today I’ve written a scathing follow-up letter to our builder notifying them that I am appalled at the lack of response I received first round of communication. Sure our house probably isn’t even safe to live in, but I guess you’ll just return my email when you’re good and ready.

Well today I have been in a state about these ongoing issues, so I decided to draft up a few lines telling them how I felt:

“Dear Mr Builder – I hate your stinking guts. Signed, client who has paid you hundreds of thousands of dollars.” 

“Dear greedy-bloodsucking-losers with no duty-of-care – is my house going to explode? Regards, your unhappy customer.” 

“Yo – I’m going to sue your f*****g poor excuse for a company and then drag your name through the mud in the media until you fix my damn house issues. Love always, Ash (your very sarcastic and biggest non-fan).”

No I didn’t write any of this, but just I did write a very firm yet polite prose about exactly what I wanted and expected to be done. I think I get the sense of release after writing a few drafts of what I’d really like to say to them… you should try it.

I could resort to other, much more extreme means to try and get my point across (let your mind wander, and yes, I’ve thought of doing it!) but I concluded that writing a letter is much more socially acceptable than leaving a gaping, smouldering hole in the side of my target’s place of business.

So if you have an issue, write a letter, you’ll be surprised how good it feels to really bang on the keyboard and watch as page upon page is filled with your angry, bitter and (hopefully not regrettable) language.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!