Friday, March 23, 2012

Bogus bellies create body image debate

A pregnant model (L) and a non-pregnant model with a prosthetic belly (R)

This week I heard a story about how some fashion houses are using non-pregnant women to model their maternity ware.

This means that fit, non-preggers women with not a hint of baby belly are donning prosthetic ones to give the illusion that they are expecting.

Mothers have hit back suggesting that these models offer unrealistic images for women to compare themselves with. Well, duh! Of course it’s unrealistic, because the model isn’t actually pregnant!

Under the media code of conduct for body image, fashion houses and advertisers don’t have to disclose whether or not a model is wearing a false pregnant belly, but they are required not to display unrealistic images.

Melbourne-based Soon Maternity features a slim, 26-year-old non-pregnant woman, as the face of its autumn/winter range.

A spokeswoman for Soon Maternity said the company preferred to use pregnant models, but they were not always around on the time and day it needed them. To me, this makes perfect sense and as a woman interested in starting a family soon, it doesn’t bother me whether or not a model really is pregnant or not – they are simply trying to show how a garment could look on a pregnant figure.

Let’s face it – every woman is different and carries herself differently from other pregnant women during pregnancy – some have a tiny bump that is invisible from behind and others blow up all over.

Sales and marketing manager for maternity brand Pea in a Pod, Nicky Birkill said she tried to use pregnant models wherever possible, but used non-pregnant women every couple of years. I am aware of a local maternity ware website that uses a model that is obviously non pregnant because she is eternally 6 months gone in the photos used on the site, getting no bigger from month to month.

Some fashion houses have spoken out saying that they only use pregnant models because the prosthetic bellies look awkward and don’t allow for the designer clothing to fit right.

A maternity spread as featured on themercury.com.au - do you think this model is pregnant? She is! 36 weeks to be exact!

Modelling agencies are now getting in on the act saying that they have plenty of pregnant women on their books and are peeved that non-pregnant models are being hired instead of the real deal.

Again, every pregnant body looks different – why can’t a woman retain an immaculate figure while she’s up the duff save a bump at the front? Again, my point is that each body is different. 

Parent Wellbeing founder and psychologist Jodie Benveniste has been quoted in the media stating that non-pregnant women would not necessarily represent the pregnant body and all the changes it went through during pregnancy, but don’t people looking at an ad get that? They understand that it is merely a representation of a pregnant body?

I myself don’t see what all the hoo-ha is but would love reader’s thoughts regarding the topic (especially if you’re pregnant). Do you have a massive issue with this?

9 comments:

  1. Originally published by Herald Sun journalist Susie O'Brien on March 22, 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ash, I can totally understand why pregnant people are upset at this issue. You do compare your body more than ever when you are pregnant and are SUPER self conscious about how you look. Doesn't help that people make "funny" jokes about being fat etc. I think its a very small lucky few who stay looking as fab as those fake models are.I remember looking at pictures wondering how the hell they stayed looking so amazing when my body just seemed to keep expanding with fluid and puffiness! I think the majority, myself included, end up looking and feeling like whales. So if for no other reason its nice to see other whales wearing nice clothes so you know you're not alone in this journey that you have little control over. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ash,
    I am the owner of the above maternity website you are mentioning, as shown in the images above featured in The Mercury of our model Emma. To clarify on your comments that she eternally 6 months pregnant, Emma was actually 6 months pregnant with her daughter Arabella in those photos above. If you viewed our website at the time, you would have noticed she wore maternity jeans showing her gorgeous belly for the world to see. In Emma's case, she happens to be blessed with amazing genetics!! I can honestly say, I personally looked nothing like her while she was pregnant nor do I look like her when I am not pregnant. However, she is a model, that is what she does, she modelled for the likes of Calvin Klein for 12 years as their tooshie on the undies packets, she has modelled for Target, Myers and a number of other amazing brands so I can confidently say, she was definitely pregnant in the images above and if you like, I can send you some images of her in jeans at the same shoot to show she was pregnant.

    We have once used a prosthetic belly on a model due to not being able to source a pregnant model and within the budget restraints we had at the time however, every other model on our website has always been pregnant. The whole idea, as you mention, is to show the clothes on a pregnant body and show women how they sit... As per regular websites like net-a-porter.com, I am aware that the shirt I buy will not look it does on the size 6 models they use however, it shows a representation of how the garment looks.

    I can also confidently say, we have clients that range from size 6 - 20 that purchase on our website and regardless of how the photo is represented, whether on a blessed size 8 model that grows a belly and that's it or a size 12 model like our last models, they love that we represent our images on real life, pregnant women of all sizes. Every one is different and we are all different sizes therefore, there are some lucky ones out there that hardly change whilst pregnant and just grow a bump or the ones like myself, that went up a size everywhere whilst pregnant and had fluid to fill a SPA! :)

    Just thought I would clarify on the issue above because it's very important to me that we use pregnant women so women can feel great about themselves at any size.

    Jade x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jade it's great that you can clarify that! I am sure that all pregnant women, like myself feel better knowing that you actually use pregnant models. Ash x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course! I know myself, if you view the models in the jeans photos, you will see that they are indeed pregnant! You can't fake a belly on a model like that I don't think!! J xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's me. The model you are talking about in the Style magazine (with the 5 images) - that's me. I am actually 36 weeks pregnant in those shots. Jade mentioned above that I was 6 months, but I was actually only weeks away from having my little baby girl- a big and healthy 3.5kg baby at that! I know everyone carries babies differently, but that is me full term. On Jade's website there are some photos from when I was 5 months pregnant and they are underwear images, so you can most certainly tell there is nothing fake about that bump.

    Over and out.

    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Em - I think it's fantastic that Jade uses real pregnant models, including yourself - nothing is more beautiful than a pregnant woman in my opinion, and your shots are no exception! It's great to hear from people in the industry and to clarify these things. I want to dispel media presumptions and investigate this further because you are both doing wonders for pregnant women everywhere! Ash

      Delete
  7. People can't win...they look too good, or they look too fat? Seriously? We need to just stop banging on about this and appreciate everyone in their various shapes and sizes. I've had a baby and I gained a tonne of weight (then fortunately for me, lost it as well) but looking at a model on a website with a (fake or not) belly who still looks like a smoking hot model wouldn't make me feel bad about myself, any less than walking through a shopping mall and seeing a stunning woman walk by me would. We are all to quick to pass judgement and denigrate. Celebrate the beauty of motherhood and that a site like this is encouraging women to look amazing even when they are nine months knocked-up, sleep-deprived, hormonal beasties who just want to inhale their bodyweight in chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The issue here is the fact that the media are calling out on the fact that the fashion industry doesn't have to use pregnant models in their campaigns for maternity wear (specifically the Sun Herald story where this was originally published). I am interested in mothers’ opinions - the idea of this blog was to explore whether mothers found it offensive and whether or not their body image took a blow as a result of fashion houses using non-pregnant models. As I mentioned in summary, I don't see what all the hoo-ha is about, and as a pregnant woman I don't take offence to the fact that women, pregnant or not, are used to model maternity clothing. What I love about the Oriri website is that they are promoting beautiful fashions using mummies-to-be as part of their campaigns and this Sun Herald article was simply something that aroused my interest in the issue. We should be celebrating the beauty of pregnancy and all it has to offer x

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Please leave a comment!